Wednesday, August 7, 2013

HE HAD A FACE

Speaking of Jesus, Frederick Buechner once remarked, he had a face.  Of course, no palestinian artist sat him down for a quick sketch, or tried to catch emotion in his face.  Yet pictures of Jesus have proliferated through the centuries from the great Flemish painters with a very Dutch-like Jesus to the Caucasian Jesus that romantically holds a lamb while leading sheep somewhere.

I guess it's a good thing to keep changing out the theological art that keeps Jesus on canvas over the baptismal tank or font.  Recent Jesus art has done just that . . . tried to capture some of the compassion, some of the joy and happiness, and some of the empathy that the gospels allude to.









The pictures I've inclued in this blog were hanging through the halls of a large church in Michigan where I spent the night.  Such fresh images of Jesus triggered my imagination.  Yes, he did register hurt when he caught tragic news.  Yes, he did emote pained concern when someone came to him with an injury or hurt.  And yes, he was a good listener and coach when people needed advice.  

So when you read the Jesus of the Gospels, our Redeemer, open your mind to holy imagination--just like this artist has done.  For when you see compassion, empathy, concern, or laughter on the face of the Savior, you might just catch yourself with those same emotions and faces when you face the brokenness of your world.









4 comments:

  1. Love Jesus' expression in the picture of the two boys painting. I doubt I would be so calm if they were my boys and that was our house.though there are times when I have to chuckle at the situation and collect myself before I redirect them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a special insight into boys! I only see a cool paint fight and Jesus liking our antics :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely time for a grandson. I am thrilled for your family.

      Delete
  3. You have a special insight into boys! I only see a cool paint fight and Jesus liking our antics :)

    ReplyDelete