Monday, August 19, 2013

RIP

It's 93 degree hot.  A hill.  Climbing at a slow walk speed.  I notice something very strange in my peripheral vision.  Is that what I thought it was?  "Rick, we gotta go back to that cemetery we just passed."  So we turned around and there it was . . . a mausoleum with the door ajar!  Yikes!  Had I missed the rapture?  The Second Coming?  (My only solace was that whatever I had missed, so had Rick.)




I know I shouldn't have, but I entered through the open door.  Three crypts filled the room.  I was respectful, quiet, and greatly sobered in that room.  I wondered what bodies were next to me mouldering in those boxes.  What kind of life had they lived?  Had they lived rich, fulfilling lives?  Were they still remembered?  Or were they forgotten over the century and a half since their demise?

I walked through the cemetery and looked at other gravestones.

James Miller
Born September 6, 1845
Died March 6, 1890

Emma Miller, James' wife would survive him by two decades, but on November 4th of 1910, she too would join her husband in death.  Something about persons who lived and died well before I was born, struck me with reverence and mystery.  Sobered me.  Made me feel vulnerable and finite.  I continued to read the stone markers . . . 

Harry H. Beerwort
Died Nov. 17, 1871
48 years & 9 mos.

Capt. Gilbert Bush
Died Aug. , 1875
Aged 81 yrs & 5 mos.
Wife: Lovicy Smith
Died Aug. 8, 1874 & 20 days




I wondered what Captain Bush was like?  British loyalist or American patrtiot?  Did he go to church?  Did he a vital relationship with God?  Did he love his children?  

Most old grave markers usually have a Scripture that describes the hope of the deceased--their hope of the resurrection and everlasting life with God. This cemetery was unusual that way.  Nothing on the stones described any faith and hope beyond the grave. 

Except one:  Martha Ann.  No big sermons on her life or what she did.  You'll not discover whether she was in the church women's sewing circle or if she was a Sunday school teacher.  But at the end of her life, two simple words described her faith . . . 

Martha Ann
Gone Home




Wish I could have known Martha.  I would have asked her about her faith and life.  I would ask her about her favorite hymns and Bible verses.  But I can't because Martha has gone home.  

That's what I want my marker to say someday . . . 

Tom Hall
Gone Home

So everyday I try to live my life as if today I'm going home.    How about you?          


2 comments:

  1. Interesting observations about the epitaph and Gone Home. Sobering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "There's no place like home." Glad the ruby slippers are not required.

    ReplyDelete